Schengen Visa Requirements

The main requested documents for a Schengen Visa are:

  • A valid travel document (passport). Your passport must be valid for three months after the expiry date of the visa you are applying for and must have at least two blank pages. Make copies of the first page of the passport as well as of your previous visas.
  • Completed and signed Schengen visa application form.
  • You have to be able to furnish proof of the purpose of your visit: a reservation, a proof of accommodation, an invitation in case you are visiting relatives or friends.
  • You have to prove you have sufficient means of subsistence during your stay in the Schengen Area.
  • You need two passport format photos. Photos must be recent, in the adequate format and on the white background.
  • You need a travel insurance policy covering medical emergencies and hospital care. The minimum coverage must be EUR 30,000 and it should be valid for all Schengen countries and throughout your stay.
  • In case of underage applicants:
    • the birth certificate should be submitted,
    • both parents must sign the visa application form,
    • certified copies of both parents’ passports should be enclosed,
    • both parents must give their written consent for the underage child to travel alone,
    • a certified copy of the court decision must be supplied in case one parent has sole custody of the child.

Depending on the type of visa you apply for, additional documents may be required, such as:

Transit visa:

  • Confirmed airline ticket to the country of destination and one copy
  • Copy of a valid visa for the country of destination, if applicable

Tourist visa:

  • The bank statement for the last 6 months
  • Leave letter of your company (if employed)
  • The detailed itinerary of the traveling days in the Schengen Zone, hotel reservations or a formal invitation from a resident of a Schengen country
  • Proof of flight reservation
  • Proof of accommodation for your entire stay in the Schengen area
  • Proof of civil status - original birth certificate, original joint household certificate, original marriage certificate and/or original death certificate (if applicable)

Business visa

  • A cover letter explaining the purpose of the visit
  • Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy/ Trade License/ Proprietorship documents
  • Current bank statements
  • A letter from employer with the purpose of the travel as well as the itinerary of the days spend within the Schengen zone.
  • The invitation letter from the partner company in the Schengen zone, faxed also to the corresponding diplomatic mission. This letter should be an invitation to attend meetings or other relevant events.
  • Regarding the applicant’s expenses, it must be stated that one of both parties will be covering the applicant’s travel expenses during his/her stay in the Schengen Zone.
  • Airplane ticket reservations
  • Proof of accommodation for the entire stay in the Schengen area

Purpose of travelling

Travelling for training purposes

  • A certificate of enrollment at an eligible institution

Other short term travel purposes

  • The letter of invitation
  • The entry ticket for an event
  • In case of enrolling into a program, a document that proves the purpose of this travel.

Travelling for studies

  • Two application forms are to be filled
  • The letter of acceptance in a Schengen country University/College/School
  • Proof of financial means

Travelling for the purpose of employment

  • Two application forms must be filled
  • The employment contract

Travelling for the purpose of visiting relatives/friends:

  • Proof of one’s financial status. If the relative/friend is to cover the applicant’s expenses, a formal document issued by the competent authorities to a resident of a Schengen country is to be submitted.
  • The formal invitation by the relative/friend residing in a Schengen country.
  • If the applicant will be covering the expenses on his/her own, the relatives/friend’s name, address and the copy of their passport.
  • In case that the friend/relative is not a citizen of this Schengen country, the copy of the residency permit will also be required.

Travelling for the purpose of permanently residing in the Schengen country due to a Schengen spouse (family reunification visa)

  • Two application forms must be filled
  • The original and a certified copy of the international marital certificate
  • The copy of the spouse’s passport if a Schengen country citizen. If the spouse is not a Schengen country citizen, but only lives in a Schengen country the copy of his/her residency permit is to be submitted as well.
  • Other documents that may differ depending on the country of destination may be required. The list of these documents can be downloaded from the website of the corresponding diplomatic office.